Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Entrena

Our training center is called Entrena, in the northern barrios of Santo Domingo. I love in Los Acarrizos with about 12 other volunteers, well we each live with separate families in the same barrio. My family is um.. unteresting. We have learned in cultural classes, etc. that the people, especially the women are SUPER friendly and outgoing and all up yo business all the time. This is the case for most of my friends, but for some reason my family prefers to let me remain super isolated. I eat alone, hang out alone, they don´t want to have a lot to do with me.. whatever. I´m improving tons on the mandolin. Seriously. My spanish is getting better 0 we have language classes every day for 4 to 5 hours. I tested in at ïntermediate low level 0 surprising. But our six person class is going to the colonial district of santo domingo for language class tomorrow. Ill be thinking of you mom.

Other than that, I LOVE my fellow voluinteers. I have fallen in love with all of them. I actually held together my friend´s head as it bled all over the place today. Not kidding. He ran into a roof. The roofs are really low and he´s really freaking tall. Ruth I think you would have fainted. Head wounds bleed a lot and it was disgusting.

For my birthday everyone in my barrio 0 the other volunteers, went to a Carwash. They literally wash cars and have a bar with this really good dominican beer and they brought a cake and balloons. The carwash plays meringue and bachatha and slasa music. We took the dance floor in the epitome of white person can´t dance dominicans got a kick out of it though. Some of these kids grew up in el salvador or have lived in the carribean so they knew how to dance.. funny our Entrena teachers actually gave us a lesson in meringue dancing and dominoes this afternoon.. its part of the DR peace corps training.

ok im about to get kicked off. this is the most poorly written excuse for a blog entry i have ever imagined. my apologies. no time, not much more word on going to honduras but we all have our fingers crossed.

oh, and jacquelyn my host mom said¨oh your sister speaks soanish a little, no
they donñt speak any english and really enjoyed that someone else besides me doesnt understand what they are asaying

ok got to go the keyboard is messing up

1 comment:

  1. The first time I tried calling you, I think I told your host mom that you were my son...

    ReplyDelete