Saturday, July 4, 2009

Santo Domingo

We reached Santo Domingo two days ago, late at night, after traveling FOREVER. The training center is really nice, and again I feel like I have known the kids I am with all my life. I went home with my host family last night.. just thrown in with their Spanish. Luckily I am picking it up again very quickly, but the Spanish here is really Carribean. They drop all (s) at the end of words, etc. So, our language trainers in Entrana (our training facility) speak beautiful Spanish, but my host family is alittle hard to understand at times. My host father is a really old total carribean man, a bit husky and gruff - but laughs a lot, which is great. We have to take bucket baths and it's primitive, but I am seriously loving it. Could not be more happy. And, I learned two more songs by heart on the mandolin. They love music here, LOVE IT so it's a good conversation starter. I am so glad I have that damn mandolin - especially after lugging it around with all my stuff - because it makes them feel less pressure to talk to me.

ok i have to go now, we have tomorrow off so i wont be able to have internet.. but i will try to write more on monday. And, my BIRTHDAY IS SUNDAYYY!!!!!!!! - should be pretty cool in santo domingo. it's definitely a music and dancing city, meringue and salsa are ways of life.. as is dominoes. We have lessons in dominoes and dancing meringue in addition to our daily spanish lessons. MERINGUE FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

one more thing, the Country Director from Honduras is here and says that we will WAY more than likely be able to go to Honduras. June 22nd. I am PUMPED.

Will try to call on my b-day, but may have to wait until next week when i know my way around more and can get to a telephone booth without getting into anything dangerous. lots of love.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! Love and prayers from Mrs. Al.
    You're my hero.

    ReplyDelete