Wednesday, July 1, 2009

On to Dominican Republic

Well, since the military Coup in Honduras Sunday morning, plans have changed. My training class travels to the Dominican Republic for 3 weeks for language training tomorrow. And then hopefully continue on to Honduras for more technical training.

I am in Miami for the day, but leave the hotel REAL early tomorrow.. (check out is 3:30 am - rough). They have scrambled in the past 48 hours to place our training class SOMEWHERE in the Americas, thus the crazy flight plans. My flight heads to Puerto Rico for a very healthy layover and hopefully will get to the Dominican Republic to move in with our host families tomorrow night. Some people leave today, others tomorrow, all together we will arrive in Santo Domingo in 4 groups. I feel really grateful to the PC administrative people in charge of our group because our training class was almost sent home. They admit that we could probably avoid the political situation in Honduras effectively, but the PC director pointed out that 50 Peace Corps volunteers arriving days after the Coup would suggest the US supports the new government. To stay politically correct, we will travel to DR first. I am pretty pumped about seeing an extra, unexpected country. My one hope is that they let us move on to Honduras as training class without splitting us up allocating each person to another country around the world.

I love the people in my training class already. They are from all over the country: Hawaii, New Jersey, Michigan, North Carolina, D.C., California, New York.. and on and on. Although no one has even heard of Sewanee, I feel like I have SO much in common with these people already.

Actually, I think we are about to go to South Beach for the day. - We were not expected to stay in Miami an extra day so the one PC administrator left in this town just said to do whatever: beach, pool, it's Miami! -

I will try to write more once we are in the DR. Should be more interesting there.

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! A blog! Thanks for putting this together. I can't believe they almost pulled your class. Woah. Keeping my fingers crossed they let yall stay together. Safe travels tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another grand adventure! Am so impressed by PC ingenuity and perseverance in keeping your class on the active roster. Know all will be GREAT!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete